This past week, after receiving an email which included an inspirational decision-making article, then later seeing a somewhat-related Tweet about job changers, I was reminded about my own recent decision to make a major job change.
I remembered how I had saved a whole pile of articles on the topic that I printed out from the internet. These online posts supported all sides of the argument: for and against; how-to’s and how-not-to’s; wait’s and do-it-now’s; etc.
I decided to put together a list of these posts to share with you in case you, or someone you know, is going through this same career change quandary at the moment. Maybe this list will help you sort through your own thoughts on the topic?
Following are those two recent posts that set the rest of this post in motion, plus the 24 related headlines (plus two free ebooks) that you might also find helpful in deciding if a more significant career change is right for you at this time.
The two posts that caught my attention this past week are:
- What If I Choose Wrong? by Jonathan Fields
- This tweet from The Huffington Post linking to “When I Knew I Had to Quit” stories: huff.to/VZJ4ZV
The 24 other perspectives to consider include the following:
- How to Risk Genius When You’re Down and Out by Jonathan Fields
- How to Quit Your Job, Move to Paradise and Get Paid to Change the World by Jon Morrow
- When Do You Get to Live Your Dream? by Steve Tobak
- Want to Follow Your Dream? Don’t Quit Your Day Job by Kelly Gurnett
- Hell Yes You Should Quit Your Job by Corbett Barr
- The Job Quitting Myth by Chris Brogan
- Malcolm Gladwell on Late Bloomers
- Starting a Business Isn’t All Unicorns and Rainbows (the Other Side of the Story) by Corbett Barr
- One Rule to Know Before Breaking All the Rules by Tyler Tervooren
- If You Build It, They Won’t Give a @#$% by Julien Smith
- What’s Your Purpose? (No. Really. Think About It.) by Johnny B. Truant
- Secrets of the Accidental Entrepreneur by James Altucher
- What Happened: How My Business Mistakes Led to Following My Bliss by Melissa Dinwiddie
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Calling It Quits by Barry Moltz
- Is Your Hobby a Viable Business Idea? by Katie Morell
- 4 Questions to Ask Before Turning a Hobby Into Your Career by Rachel Thebault
- The Renaissance Guide to Creating a Wildly Successful Online Business by Henry Junttila
- 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur by James Altucher
- 5 Essential Questions to Test the Viability of an Idea by Chuck Frey
- So You Want to Be a Freelancer? Lifting the Veil on Making Money in Blogging by Gigi Ross
- 17 Ways to Make Money Following Your Life’s Passion by Henri Junttila
- 17 Way to Make Your First Ecommerce Sale by Mark Hayes
- Start a Business for Under $1,000 by James Clear, U.S. News & World Report
- How to Create a Million-Dollar Business This Weekend by Tim Ferriss
And don’t forget these two ebooks to inspire you to take action:
- The Flinch by Julien Smith (free Amazon download)
- The Universe Doesn’t Give a Flying F**k About You by Johnny B. Truant (free Amazon download)
I also wrote about my decision to leave a secure job in the following 5-part series:
- How To Decide If Leaving Your Job Is Right For You
- Addressing Regrets
- You’ve Left Your Job, Now What? Good Habits for the Newly Self-Employed
- Are You Employable? Prove it.
- Closing Doors versus Burning Bridges
11/18/2012 Update: Here’s a good link not to be missed:
‘IT’S NOT WORTH IT’: Ad Exec’s Brutal Rant Before He Died Of Cancer Is Absolutely Chilling
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/its-not-worth-it-linds-reddings-short-lesson-in-perspective-2012-11
Do you know of any links that should be added to this list? Are there any posts that particularly affected one way or the other? I would love to hear anything you would like to share in the comment section below. Thanks in advance for stopping by!